By Erika Moen on August 29, 2012
“Snail Lady”, yes, yes, I’m still the worst at titling my paintings. My skills lay with making pictures, not pushing words around, I guess. It is my cross to bear.
The original doodle that started it all. Originally I was thinking of having her entire top covered in snail shells– that’s something I think I’d still like to try out in another picture. A suit of armor made of snail shells. Looking back at this doodle, I wish I had better preserved her big full lips and incredulous eyes in the final painting. Oh man, and that nose. I like this nose better than the one in the painting. Hmm. Moving on!
This painting I decided to use a much larger wooden panel (14″ x 10.5″) than I usually do, which meant I actually had to tape together several pieces of plain printer paper to make a surface large enough to fit the under-drawing onto it.
Once the painting was done, I had to choose which papers I would be pairing together. In the end, I went with a super shiny gold, an iridescent orange with a subtle natural marbling, and a matte light green with delicate pale gold leafy vines printed on it. A good combination of shiny and matte papers.
Slowly but surely I’m building up my painting collection. Once I’ve completed about ten or so, I wanna see if I find space to put on a show of them and a bunch of my prints. Oh! Speaking of which! If you were interested in getting one of my limited edition artichoke screenprints, you should totally get on that because I only have 15 left.